Cooking Everything Outdoors newest video release
Here is the direct link on YouTube: Leek and Potato Soup
This recipe is adapted from a Rouxbe.com recipe.
|Dutch oven Leek and Potato Soup Recipe||
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 large leeks
- 7 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 3 to 4 cups HOT stock (vegetable or chicken)
- chives for garnish
- kosher salt (to taste)
- white pepper (to taste)
- Finely slice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Prepare the leeks, cut off the root end, cut off the dark green part and discard.
- The white and light green part, cut in half lengthwise and then cut across into fairly thin strips.
- In a 12″ Camp Chef Dutch oven, add the butter and melt over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the onions and sweat for about 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Next, add the garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the leeks and salt and stir. Cover with a lid and let sweat over medium heat for about 8 minutes or until the leeks soften.
- Stir occasionally.
- Peel, quarter the potatoes lengthwise and cut into ¼” cubes.
- Do not rinse the potatoes, as the starch will help to thicken the soup.
- Once the leeks have softened, add the potatoes and stir to combine.
- Next, add approximately 3 cups of hot stock just to cover the ingredients, adding more if necessary, just to cover.
- Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Cover and let cook over medium-low heat until the potatoes have cooked through.
- Remove from heat and mash until you reach a consistency of Pea Soup.
- Add more hot stock if needed to thin.
- Ladle into your Beer Bread Soup bowl.
- Add chopped chives and serve!