Grilled Cedar Plank Stuffed Salmon Recipe
Salmon on the grill is a grilling experience I anticipate with eagerness and curiosity. My curiosity, fueled by all of the amazing grilling techniques that are available to grill Salmon, runs wild with the thought of how I am going to prepare one of my all time favorite fish. There is an abundance of grilled Salmon recipes available and everyone fuels even more grilling creativity and culinary experimentation. My anticipation is from the experience of devouring many a fine grilled Salmon over the years.
One of the truths I live with, is my love of Cedar planked Salmon. Cedar planks and Salmon is a paring that just blends so well together, rich aromatic smoke from the Cedar planks cooking the pink flaky flesh of fresh wild caught Salmon, creating a perfect blend of grilling nirvana for fish lovers everywhere.
I prefer to catch my own Salmon but when fishing is not an option, finding fresh wild Salmon at the local market is my back-up plan option. There is plenty of farm raised Salmon available but I am not a fan of “food coloring” to enhance the look of my Salmon. Fortunately, some fresh wild Salmon was available and I purchased a 3lb piece of a whole Salmon for this recipe.
For this recipe, I used three of my favorite pieces of grilling equipment, Camp Chefs Big Gas Grill and Cedar Grilling Planks from Grilling Planks Super Store and ManPans cookware. All of these grilling tools make my outdoor kitchen just perfect for grilling Salmon.
Preparation and grilling this recipe is very simple and only involves six basic steps:
- Prepare Cedar Plank by soaking and then heating the cooking side.
- Prepare Spinach and Feta cheese stuffing.
- Wash, dry and season Salmon before stuffing and grilling.
- Stuff Salmon and grill.
- Prepare side dish (I made rice)
- Admire your grilling skills and eat until you explode!
Salmon is ready for the grill! I washed and dried the Salmon, lightly coated all surfaces with E.V.O.O and liberally applied coarse salt and fresh ground coarse black pepper before stuffing with my spinach and Feta cheese mix.
Here is my stuffing recipe:
Spinach and Feta Cheese Salmon stuffing recipe
2 cups Baby leaf spinach
1 tbs cream cheese
¼ c fresh Parmesan cheese
½ c crumbled feta cheese
1 tbs diced dried tomatoes
2 tbs bread crumbs
1 tbs chopped pine nuts
¼ c chopped flat leaf parsley
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients together and stuff into cavity of the Salmon.
Cedar plank was prepare by soaking for one hour, then placing the smooth side down on the grill to pre-heat and burn of any microbes that may be lingering on the surface of the cedar plank. I generously coated the cooking side of the grilling plank with E.V.O.O. to keep the Salmon from sticking to the Cedar plank while grilling.
Grilling temperature was 350° F
Cooking time for my stuffed Salmon was one hour. You can use a temperature gauge to check internal temperature, looking for a 155° – 160°F temperature for a fully cooked salmon. I pulled my Salmon at that temperature range; your Salmon will continue to cook for a few degrees more once removed from the heat.
My Camp Chef Big Gas Grill is a multi-tasking workhorse allowing me to grill my Salmon and prepare a rice dish to compliment my recipe. I am using my cherish ManPan on the Big Gas Grill.
This Cedar Planked Stuffed Salmon recipe was delicious, the stuffing complimented the cedar smoked Salmon nicely, none of the flavors where over powering and blended nicely. Served on a bed of rice, the Salmon just flaked apart with its rich smoky cedar flavor accented by the salty Feta cheese and spinach with a crunch of pine nuts, a perfect outdoor meal prepared the Cooking-Outdoors way!
|Grilled Cedar Plank Stuffed Salmon Recipe||
- 2 cups Baby leaf spinach
- 1 tbs cream cheese
- ¼ c fresh Parmesan cheese
- ½ c crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbs diced dried tomatoes
- 2 tbs bread crumbs
- 1 tbs chopped pine nuts
- ¼ c chopped flat leaf parsley
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
For the surface of the Salmon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Coarse ground black pepper
- Prepare Cedar Plank by soaking for 1 hr
- Place on grill and heat the cooking side of the plank until you hear the cedar plank pop and start to smoke.
- Prepare Spinach and Feta Cheese stuffing recipe by combining all ingredients (except olive oil, coarse sea salt and coarse ground black pepper at end of ingredients list), mixing well.
- Wash, dry Salmon before stuffing.
- Lightly coat salmon with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Sprinkle all surfaces of Salmon with coarse sea salt and coarse ground black pepper.
- Stuff Salmon with Spinach and Feta Cheese stuffing.
- Apply cooking oil to heated side of cedar plank to coat.
- Place Salmon on Cedar plank.
- Grill at 350° F until internal temp reaches 155° F.
- Remove from grill and rest for 5 minutes.