Macaroni and cheese has been a staple in my house for generations. Defying culinary greatness, the simple recipe of macaroni noodles and cheese sauce has been paired with the likes of choice hamburger patties and graced in design with silly outlines of cartoon characters in my home. However, nothing compares to the savory rich smoky flavor and smell of smoked Mac n Cheese made from scratch and BBQ’d to perfection. Most have kept to the original concept of “Yellow” Mac n Cheese, a tried and true style favored by most.
I have tried several in my days, with many being over the top in cheesy delight but this recipe is my first original creation and (IMHO) it holds its own with the best that I have tried. Not a tradition “Yellow” Mac n cheese but full of flavor and smoky goodness with bites of smoked bacon to tease your taste buds. Several types of cheeses and a crunchy corn flake and bread crumb topping that will turn a golden brown when smoked to completion, balancing it all together.
Hickory was my choice of smoke for this recipe when I prepared it in my Camp Chef 18″ Smoke Vault. Hickory chips were the “Best of the West” all natural smoking chips curtsey of Two Trees Products. Bacon was smoked for two hours using Applewood chips from Two Trees also. I never stopped to take any pictures during the cooking process so I had to use screen captures and the quality is not what you may be used to, but this is about the recipe not the pictures right?
|Smoked Bacon Mac n Cheese recipe||
- 16 oz large elbow macaroni, cooked
- 6 slices of smoked bacon, cut in 1″ pieces
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mexican blend (cheddar/colby) cheese, shredded
- 5 oz 3 cheese blend (parmesan/asiago/romano) cheese, shredded
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 tbs pepper
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ¾ stick butter, about 9 – ¼” pats
- cooking spray
- Prepare elbow macaroni according to package instructions.
- Mix elbow macaroni, bacon, cheddar cheese, mexican blend cheese, 3 blend cheese and cream cheese together.
- Mix heavy cream, milk, salt and pepper together.
- Add milk mixture to macaroni mix and blend together.
- Pour Mac n Cheese into cooking container.
- Combine crushed corn flakes and bread crumbs together.
- Spray all sides and bottom of a 8 x 8 x 4 inch container.
- Pour Mac n Cheese into container.
- Spread bread crumb mixture over top of Mac n Cheese to cover.
- Place pats of butter on top of crumb mixture.
- Smoke at 225 degrees F for one hour.