Beef Wellington's have been on my Outdoor Cooking bucket list for several years as an “I can do this” challenge recipe. I thought as many people do, that this recipe would be too challenging for the grill or my culinary skills. Wrong on both counts was the results of finally getting around to cooking this amazing recipe on the grill. Beef Wellington only requires a few basic skills such as sautéing and baking on the grill. The ingredient list is minimal and the time to put it together is a little over an hour depending on your prep skills.
I can say that the price tag on making Beef Wellington's is a bit steep for most budgets. My cost for this recipe ran a little over $50 for two Beef Wellington's. Next time I make these and I will make these again, I plant to substitute a more friendly cut of beef, perhaps even Tri-Tip.
As you can see watching the video above, Beef Wellington's are very easy to make and turn out fantastic. I did grill mine on the Island Grillstone but you can use a skillet or baking sheet to great effect.
- 2 Filet Mignon, 1½ - 2 inches thick
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- ½ c chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ c diced yellow onion
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard
- ¼ c red wine
pdmushrooms, sliced, stems removed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 slices Proscuitto
- coarse salt & black pepper
- egg wash (1 egg w/ water mixed)
- Melt butter in pan.
- Sauté mushrooms, yellow onions, green onions and parsley until most of the moisture has cooked out.
- Add wine and cook till absorbed.
- Set aside.
- Preheat grill to 425º F.
- Generously coat Filet Mignon with salt & pepper.
- Quickly sear Filet Mignon on all sides.
- Set aside to rest.
- Roll out puff pastry thin enough to cut into 2 squares able to wrap each filet.
- Coat filet with coarse ground mustard.
- Wrap 1 - 2 pieces of Proscuitto around each filet.
- Add ¼th of mushroom mixture to puff pastry.
- Place fillets in center of puff pastry.
- Add another ¼th of mushroom mixture to the top of the filet.
- Fold pastry around filet to wrap completely and use the egg wash to make edges stick together.
- Place wrapped filets on grill pan or skillet to bake.
- Bake for 25 minutes for medium rare.